- High in protein—A cricket is 65 percent protein whereas beef is about 50 percent.
- High in other nutrients—Insect protein contains a good range of amino acids and they also contain vitamins, minerals, unsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Taste great—People describe the taste of insects as nutty with a similar flavor to shrimp and chicken. Grasshoppers, ant eggs, and wasps are considered a delicacy in several countries.
- Edible- while beef is only edible upto 60% of the body, where as insects full body is edible and can be eaten fully.
- Entomophagy is the name for eating insects
- Most insects are 100% edible, compared with about 40% of a cow
- Mealworms produce only between 1% and 10% of the greenhouse gas per kilogram produced by pigs
- Many insects are high in calcium, zinc, iron and protein
- Beetles make up 40% of all recorded edible insect species
Insects taste like:
Get to know about startups of insect foods around the world in he next section ” future foods – part 2″.