Do you use bamboo in your daily life. I have made a points about bamboo, it’s facts, and some interesting products which are made out of bamboo:
- Bamboo is a evergreen perrenial flowering plants in the subfamily bambusoideae of the grass family Poaceae.
- The word Bamboo comes from the term “bambu” from Kannada (Indian language).
- 1575 species of bamboo are found in 5 continents (Africa, Australia, north and south America, Asia).
- They grow in tropical and subtropical regions.
- Fastest growing plant in the world, 3 feet in 24 hours (1.5 inches in 1 hour).
- Flowering of bamboo are rarely seen. The fact is that all bamboo flowerings happen at the same time irrespective of place all around the world.
- It is one of most exploited plants on the planet because it’s cultivation doesn’t require much effort.
- Low cost of maintenance.
- Has numerous applications in medical, construction, food, etc…
- Stronger than steel and can control more pressure than concrete.
- They can even control extreme temperatures in the mountains of himalayas (-20 degree celcuis).
Bamboo helped Thomas Edison to invent light bulb:
Edison and his colleagues discovered that a carbonized bamboo filament in a light bulb could last over 1,200 hours. Up until that time, the other types of filaments did not last as long. Edison originally applied for a patent with light bulbs using a carbon filament made from cotton, linen thread, wood splints, or paper. However, they found that the carbon bamboo filament was the best material, which led to the start of large-scale manufactured light bulbs in the year 1880. The bamboo filament also helped Edison avoid some lawsuits involving the use of carbonized thread as the filament.
How bamboo can save environment?
- Do you know that bamboo releases 30% more oxygen into the atmosphere.
- It can absorb 12 tons of Carbon-dioxide per 2.5 acres in a single year.
- Bamboos have wide and strong root system which holds the soil stable and prevents soil erosion of the ground.
- It doesn’t require any fertilizer to grow, it can grow by itself and use it’s dry leaves as fertilizers.
- Bamboo plantations can help the planet more than you think and reduce CO2 in the atmosphere.
- Uses limited water.
Bamboo for your health:
Bamboo shoots are used in Asian cuisine, and it’s health benefits are amazing.
- Help in weight loss.
- Helps to boost immune system.
- Balanced cholesterol levels.
- They have good amount of dietary fibres.
- They have cancer fighting and anti inflammatory properties.
- They are rich in proteins, the proteins contain 17 essential amino acids and 2 semi-essential amino acids.
- They contain vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin E,thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and pantothenic acid. Minerals found in them include calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and iron.
- It has anti-venomous properties which protects us from both snake and scorpions bite.
- A remedy for intestinal worms.
- Due to their anti bacterial properties, they can be used to clean wounds.
Products made out of bamboo:
Here I am going to discuss few products made out of bamboo:
- Bamboo clothes are super soft and feels so good to your skin.
- 3 times more absorbent than cotton, Keeping you feel fresh, dry and comfortable.
- They fibres have antibacterial properties, so you no need to think about your dirty bamboo clothes.
- They even eliminate odour from your. So you no need to put any perfumes and deodorant.
- It’s better than any other synthetic clothes which cause pollution.
- It’s softer than Egyptian cotton and polyester.
- It can be even used for dressing of wounds.
The toothbrush which we are using is made up of plastic and synthetic rubber. But you can help the planet by your morning brush.
- We can use bamboo as a toothbrush.
- It is 100% biodegradable.
- Light weight and strong.
- Bamboo cycles are light weight.
- They are strong as compared to other cycles.
- It has less vibration, it best suits for adventure mountain bikes.
- Better way of transportation instead of using pollution causing vehicles. We can reduce pollution by using this sustainable cycle.
Bamboo musical instruments:
- Bamboo is used to make musical instruments like flute.
- In India, flute is the musical instrument used by the lord Krishna.
- There are many types of bamboo flutes made around the world, such as: dizi, xiao, palendag, jinghu.
- It is also used to make slit drums, marimba, panpipes, clarinets, saxophones, tubas.
- They are very strong and with stand more weight and pressure.
- They are light weight and easy to shift from one place to another.
- Can be used to make different furniture types like center table, sofas, etc…
- Bamboo charcoal is used a natural body perfume.
- We can protect our body from chemical deodorant and perfumes.
- They are even antibacterial.
Used in construction:
Bamboo is used in construction to building to hold the buildings. It is also used for flooring. Even in Nigeria and other countries use bamboo mixed with mud is used to build their homes.
They are still more products to be discussed like clips from bamboo, bamboo pens, etc…..I recommend to use bamboo products for sustainable development of our planet earth. We have to care even our health and be against harmful chemicals.